10 injured in Nyali, Kisauni renewed flare-ups

Sunday November 24 2019

Mr Andrew Murithi, one of the victims of attacks, recovers at Coast General Hospital on November 24, 2019 . PHOTO | LABAN WALLOGA | NATION MEDIA GROUP


Tension is high in Kisauni and Nyali in Mombasa following renewed attacks by machete-wielding gangs that left 10 people injured. The victims suffered deep cuts on their heads, hands, legs and other parts of their bodies in the Sunday attacks. One of the victims had his leg chopped off by the criminals, according to witnesses.

“We had to put the leg in a carton as we carried the victim to the hospital after the morning attack,” Mr Henry Kahindi, a resident, said.

The victims were treated at the Coast General Hospital with a majority being reported to be in stable condition.


A new gang named “86 Battalion” is believed to be behind the deadly attacks that have left the residents living in fear.

Mr Andrew Murithi, who was robbed of an unknown amount of money and his cell phone, is among those who are nursing their injuries at the Coast General Hospital.


“They cut my leg and slashed me on the head. I'm in great pain. They were so many," Mr Murithi said from his hospital bed.

Another victim, Naomi Ndalu, said she was attacked around 5.30am as she headed to Kongowea market. She suffered head injuries and was robbed of her mobile phone.

Mr James Mutinda, who sustained injuries on his left hand, also lost his phone. Also injured were Pharsly Kaingu and Joseph Wambugu.


Other victims included Mr Robert Ochieng, Mr Juma Hamisi, Mr Caleb Musya, Mr Jacob Okello and Mr Hassan Mwero.

Following the attacks, a joint manhunt for the criminals was conducted by officers from the Kisauni and Nyali sub-counties. The officers traced the criminals to their hideout in Mwandoni where a shootout ensued as the criminals fled.

In a statement, Mombasa County Commissioner Gilbert Kitiyo said six gangsters are believed to have escaped with gun wounds.

“They were caught sharing the loot. The officers ordered them to surrender, but they advanced towards the officers. The officers fired at them and it is suspected that several of them escaped with gunshot wounds,” Mr Kitiyo said.

Identification cards belonging to some of victims were recovered at the hideout. Other items recovered included National Hospital Insurance Fund and ATM cards.

“Four pangas and a metal bar were also recovered. A manhunt for the thugs is still ongoing,” added Mr Kitiyo.