Sushi is the most famous Japanese dish, and one of the most popular dishes among the Japanese themselves. Sushi is loved the world over due to ease in preparation. It is made from rice, uncooked fish, vegetables and sauce.
This recipe is suitable for beginners and utilises readily available ingredients.
Serves 4. Preparation time: 30 minutes.
1-cup sticky rice
½- cup rice vinegar
2 cups watercress, wilted
4 leaves iceberg lettuce
3 tbsps light soy sauce
4 tbsps red chilli sauce
250 grams cold smoked salmon, thinly sliced
¼-cup grated carrots
1. In a saucepan, boil the rice for 12 minutes, or until it becomes soft and sticky. Place the rice in a shallow dish and press it down using a fork.
2. Remove a scoop of rice using fingers dipped in rice vinegar and shape into neat squares. Place on a serving tray.
3. Place a small quantity of wilted watercress and a small piece of lettuce onto each rice square.
4. In a shallow dish, place the soy sauce mixed with red chilli sauce. Dip the smoked salmon into the sauce and then place on top of the vegetables on the rice squares. Garnish each piece with grated carrots and red chilli sauce. Serve immediately.
• Make your own sushi sauce by steaming seeded red chillis in simmering water for 15 minutes.
• Place in a blender with 1 chopped onion, 3 crushed garlic cloves, 2 tbsps corriander powder, 1 tbsp grated ginger, grated lemon zest and the juice of one lemon. • Add a dash of black pepper and 4 tbsps of olive oil. • Blend to a thick smooth paste and refrigerate. Use within a week.
• You may also place ½- a cup of bicarbonate of soda to achieve the same effect.