British aristocrat's son was hit by a blunt object, inquest told

Tuesday July 28 2015

Members of the public keenly follow the

Members of the public keenly follow the proceedings at a Mombasa court during the inquest into the death of Alexander John Ruman Monson who died while undergoing treatment at Diani Hospital in 2012. Dr Jason Payne James, a forensic physician from Britain, said failure by the police to arrange quick medical treatment resulted in Monson's death. PHOTO | WACHIRA MWANGI | NATION MEDIA GROUP 

More by this Author

The son of a British aristocrat got a head injury after being hit by a blunt object, leading to brain damage, an inquest into his death heard.

Dr Jason Payne James, a forensic physician from Britain, said failure by the police to arrange quick medical treatment resulted in the death of Mr Alexander John Ruman Monson.

The witness, while referring to his report during the inquest, also said a bruise on the deceased’s private parts and injuries on his left hand were caused by physical assault by another person.

Appearing before Mombasa Senior Principal Magistrate Richard Odenyo, Dr James said the timing of the injury on the head cannot be specified but it would have been inflicted between 3am and 3.30am on the morning of May 19, 2012.

“The pathological evidence shows blunt force injury resulted in brain trauma, swelling and caused death,” said Dr James in his report.

He further said after reviewing the clinical possibilities based on the evidence, the timelines of Mr Monson’s unconsciousness as a result of drugs are not consistent.

Dr James told the inquest it is not possible to determine or exclude the use of a blunt object.

He differed with a conclusion in one of the medical reports indicating that the head injury was unlikely to be due to a police baton or gun butt.

Dr James said that he does not think the hospital, where Mr Monson was taken prior to his death, did a drug test.

“I do not believe the treatment of Alexander was appropriate,” said Dr James, adding that time was of the essence in treating the injury.

He said Ms Hilary Martin, Mr Monson’s mother, asked him to write the report, which he did free of charge.

The witness said the injuries could have been inflicted 48 hours before Mr Monson’s death.

Prior to Dr James’ evidence, a police officer stunned the court when he said some of his colleagues could lie against him.

Sergeant Naftali Chege said the loss of property belonging to Mr Monson could be the reason his (colleagues) might give false information against him.

The officer said when Mr Monson died at Palm Beach Hospital, his property got lost at the police station.

The inquest resumes on October 6.