3 more charged over Muriuki attack - Daily Nation

Three more charged over attack on Timothy Muriuki

Wednesday May 16 2018

Muriuki

Three more suspects have been charged with violently robbing Nairobi businessman Timothy Muriuki of Sh100,000 when he was attacked last month. The three, Mr Michael Banya Wathigor (left ), Mr Bernard Onganyo Otieno (centre) and Mr Benjamin Peter Mulinge (right) when they appeared in court on May 16, 2018. PHOTO | RICHARD MUNGUTI | NATION MEDIA GROUP 

By RICHARD MUNGUTI
More by this Author

Three more suspects have been charged over the attack on city businessman Timothy Muriuki at a Nairobi hotel, where he was allegedly robbed of Sh100,000.

The three, Mr Dishon Peter Mulinge, Mr Ronald Onyango Otieno and Mr Michael Mbanya Wathigo, were represented by lawyer Danstan Omari, who applied for bond. This brings to seven the number of suspects arraigned over the attack, which caused a hue and cry nationwide.

State prosecutor Solomon Naulikha did not oppose the bail plea, saying: “This case will be consolidated with two others where the suspects were released on a cash bail of Sh200,000.”

He urged Chief Magistrate Francis Andayi to pronounce similar terms as in the two previous files. Mr Naulikha said the three files would be consolidated into one and the suspects charged jointly over the attack.

DENIED OFFENCE

The three denied the offence, which carries a mandatory death sentence upon conviction or life imprisonment.

The seven people arraigned in court so far over the incident are East African Legislative Assembly Member Simon Mbugua, Mr Mulinge, Mr Otieno, Mr Wathigo, Mr Brian Shem Owino, Mr Antony Otieno Ombok alias Jamal, and Mr Benjamin Odhiambo Onyango alias Odhis.

In his ruling, Mr Andayi directed each of the three — Mr Mulinge, Mr Otieno and Mr Wathigo — to be released on a cash bail of Sh200,000. They were also told to deposit in court copies of their national identity cards.

“I direct that this case be mentioned on May 23, alongside the two others. The three files will be consolidated into one and a common charge drafted in respect of the three,” Mr Andayi ruled.

CASH BAIL

Another suspect, Mr Sangira Stephen Ochola, who was produced in court without any charges being preferred against him, was ordered to return to court on June 4 for the State to indicate whether it would charge him or not.

Mr Ochola was released on a cash bail of Sh100,000, although the police wanted him detained for questioning. However, he was told to be reporting to the investigating officer at Central Police Station, Corporal Francis Mwita.

“Under Article 49 (1)(h) of the Constitution, courts are allowed to release suspects on bond,” the magistrate said. The police said they need the mobile phone of Mr Owino to extract call data and to investigate the calls made and received.