All missing people in Dusit attack are now accounted for

Thursday January 17 2019

 DusitD2

A woman is reunited with her family after her evacuation from DusitD2 compound in Nairobi on January 15, 2019 following a terrorist attack. PHOTO |YASUYOSHI CHIBA | AFP  

JAMES KAHONGEH
By JAMES KAHONGEH
More by this Author

The Kenya Red Cross has said all people reported missing in the DusitD2 complex attack have been accounted for.

Officials said they received 94 reports of missing people and that all had been located by Thursday noon.

Twenty-one people were killed in the attack after terrorists stormed the office park on Tuesday.

The 20-hour siege ended after Kenyan forces, a multi-agency team led by the General Service Unit, killed all the attackers on Wednesday.

President Uhuru Kenyatta on Wednesday morning declared the terrorist attack at 14 Riverside Drive over, with all the terrorists having been killed.

About 700 people were rescued from the compound since the start of the attack on Tuesday through the early hours of Wednesday morning, the President said.

Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i had said the country is safe, urging Kenyans to continue with their activities.

"We remain an integral part of the international community that stands up to terror in all its guises," he said.