Advertisement

Blame game on Rio funds misuse rages

Thursday September 08 2016
riopic

Sports Cabinet Secretary Hassan Wario appears before the Labour and Social Welfare Committee on September 6, 2016 to respond to how funds were appropriated during the Rio 2016 games. PHOTO | JEFF ANGOTE | NATION MEDIA GROUP

By LUCY KILALO
By ABIUD OCHIENG

The Ministry of Sports on Thursday disputed claims that it paid for accommodation in a luxury cruise ship for President Uhuru Kenyatta during the Olympic Games in Rio, Brazil.

In what appeared to be the start of a blame game between the Ministry and the National Olympic Committee of Kenya (Nock), Sports Principal Secretary Richard Ekai told the Senate that the person referred to in the budget estimates they received from the committee was the president of Nock and not the Head of State.

“At no time did we book for the President of Kenya or chairmen of Parliamentary committees,” said Mr Ekai, who had accompanied Cabinet Secretary Hassan Wario to answer questions regarding the Rio fiasco.

On Tuesday, the head of the Kenyan mission to Rio, Mr Steven arap Soi, told the Labour Committee of the National Assembly that Nock had reserved a room for the President, minister and chair of committees.

The room for the President had been reserved at a cost of Sh2.1 million for 18 days.

However, the PS told the Senate Labour committee that the Ministry tired to find out about the cruise ship when the Deputy President was expected in Rio, but found it to be in a pathetic state.

Advertisement

Meanwhile, Mr Soi has been directed to remain in the country until investigations regarding his role in the mismanagement and loss of funds during the games is concluded.

Senior Resident Magistrate Hellen Onkwani on Thursday released Mr Soi on a Sh200,000 cash bail.

Advertisement