Following the deadly bus crash that eyewitnesses say occurred before the crack of dawn on Wednesday, this is what we know so far.
- Death toll has risen to 50 from 42 that was initially reported. Forty-eight passengers died on the spot while two succumbed to their injuries in hospital.
- Injured passengers have been rushed to Fort Ternan and Muhoroni Sub-County hospitals for first aid treatment.
- Fatalities: 31 men, 12 women, 7 children.
- Sixty-one people were on board when the crash occurred.
- The bus belongs to Western Cross Sacco and is christened Home Boyz.
- The driver lost control of the vehicle while negotiating a corner.
- The scene is a blackspot with nearly 10 accidents reported this year, according to a local resident.
- The bus was travelling from Nairobi to Kisumu.
- Kericho County Police Commander James Mogera says the registration status of the bus, KBS029J, could not be found on the National Transport and Safety Authority's website.