Al-Shabaab released a video Thursday of a Kenyan soldier captured in Somalia showing him asking the Kenyan government to save his life.
In the video, Senior Private Alfred Ndanyi sends a message, beseeching President Uhuru Kenyatta to negotiate with the militiamen so that he and his colleagues can be released.
Mr Ndanyi, 36, disappeared in January 2016 while based in Somalia after Al-Shabaab militants attacked a KDF camp at El-Adde, killing over 100 Kenyan soldiers.
His family on Friday pleaded for his release.
In an interview with the Nation at their home in Vigina, Vihiga County, his parents, Dr Epainitus Kilasi and Nifreda Kahuga, criticised the government for not keeping them apprised of their son’s whereabouts.
Married with four children, Mr Ndanyi had been the backbone of the family, also meeting the financial need of his parents.
“I have no job. Ndanyi was our main bread winner. He fended for us and his own family. He took care of our hospital bills and bought us medicine. Now I have wounds on my legs, I cannot walk,” Dr Kilasi said.
Dr Kilaso said the video has not only renewed their hope of meeting their son again but has also enabled them shelve plans of declaring him dead.
Plans were already underway to perform burial rituals according to Maragoli traditions of people who disappear with no trace.
Mrs Kahuga said the family will continue with prayers as she urged the government to assist in bringing the missing soldier home.