The government on Friday flagged off about a million bags of fertiliser as it vowed to continue to distribute the commodity to farmers.
Agriculture Cabinet Secretary Mwangi Kiunjuri flagged off the input at the Export Trading Group warehouse in Bonje, Mombasa County.
“I would like to reiterate the government’s commitment to continuously support farmers and address their challenges.
"My main focus today is the distribution of fertiliser. The urgency to access fertilisers and the long queues by farmers witnessed at National Cereals and Produce Board (NCPB) depots across the country convince me that people are keen to work with government to achieve our food targets,” he said.
Mr Kiunjuri said although the country currently requires 12 million bags of fertiliser per year, the subsidy programme can only supply 25-30 per cent of the requirement, which has been allocated in quotas to various regions.
“Currently, Uasin Gishu which was allocated 361,960 bags of fertilisers has so far received 334,004 bags, which represent 92 per cent of the allocation.
"It is followed by Trans Nzoia which has so far received 150,970 out of the allocated 192,080 bags.
"Nakuru has so far received 36,180 bags out of the allocated 47,760 bags. Bungoma has received 39,280 bags out of the allocated 46,760 bags. Nandi has received 49,760 bags out of the allocated 58,800 bags,” the CS said.
Mr Kiunjuri added the government dispatched 971,670 bags, which represents 81 per cent of the total planting fertilisers transported to farmers in a massive exercise.
“The remaining approximately 200,000 bags will be dispatched to reach farmers in the next 10 days,” he said.
He added the ministry had requested, through the supplementary budget, a further support to purchase more fertiliser.
He regretted that unscrupulous traders were taking advantage of the fertiliser to defraud farmers.
“Unregistered farmers will not receive government subsidy on their produce. Therefore, I urge all farmers to cooperate with the government during the registration exercise. I have directed that the registration exercise be completed before the next harvesting season,” he said.