The case of two Iranians who were twice found guilty of plotting terrorist attacks in Kenya before being freed by the Court of Appeal has taken a new twist after the release of an Interpol report.
According to the report, Iranian officials have been attempting to compromise key government employees and the legal system to release Mr Ahmad Abolfathi Mohammad and Mr Sayed Mansour Mousavi who have been in custody since June 2012.
According to an affidavit by police sergeant Erick Opagal, the two Iranians arrived in Nairobi on June 12, 2012.
He added that they then travelled to Mombasa on the same day to receive RDX explosives.
After getting the substances from an accomplice who is still at large, the police sergeant told the court, the pair returned to Nairobi.
Kenya officials say the two are members of Iran Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) or Qods Force, an elite and secretive unit which executes covert foreign missions.
Detectives say the two are some of the most dangerous terrorists to have ever set foot on Kenyan soil.
The Qods Force is the terrorist arm of the IRGC, police add.
Its officers operate covertly to spread Iran’s negative influences far and wide, and they have been responsible for numerous terrorist attacks and attempted attacks globally, according to the Interpol report.
They are highly trained and secretive. According to the affidavit, their activities remain a threat to Kenya.
A security agent said what is puzzling is that the two men are not the typical terrorism suspects.
“They are not young, agile-looking, steely-eyed and assault-rifle totting types. Neither do they look like the types who don suicide vests,” a security official who requested anonymity said.
“On the face of it they look more like businessmen.”
If Mohammad and Mousavi had been successful in their terrorist plot, according to security agencies, Kenyan blood would have been spilt “and with the terrorist thinking of causing maximum harm and damage, one can only estimate how many lives would have been lost”.
An official familiar with the Interpol briefing told the Sunday Nation that an Iranian who was posted as a senior diplomat to Nairobi has been trying all means possible to reach out to Kenyan government and justice officials to secure the release of the two.
Contacted, the Iranian embassy through its spokesman Mwinyi Ramadhan, said the report and the charges against the two are yet another move by the country’s enemies to drag Iran’s name into the terrorism mire.