The Kenya Defence Forces received a cache of weapons as the search for recruits continued countrywide.
The US on Monday donated 12 Bastion Armoured Personnel Carriers to KDF to improve border surveillance and boost the fight against Al-Shabaab.
Defence Attaché and Senior Defence Official Col. Kevin Balisky of the US, presented the vehicles to the Deputy Kenya Army Commander, Maj. Gen. Thomas Chepkuto, at a ceremony in Kahawa Barracks, Nairobi.
“The vehicles represent the unwavering US commitment to Kenya and our shared national security interests. As the KDF continues to conduct daily operations against violent extremism, these vehicles will enhance the mobility and force protection of their troops in harm’s way,” said Col. Balisky.
Meanwhile, KDF’s recruitment drive entered the second day on Tuesday as the public continued to complain about the few slots set aside for women this year in most counties covered so far.
Women who turned up in Msambweni, Kwale County, were told there was only one slot for them.
The more than 30 women who were turned away lamented that they were always left out and accused KDF of being unfair.
It took the intervention of senior recruiting officer Lt. Col. J K Nzioka to calm down the candidates.
He promised them that their grievances would be presented to the relevant authorities and action taken. No woman was recruited at the same venue last year.
WOMEN TURNED AWAY
The same unfolded in Kisumu East Sub-County where dozens of women were turned away.
Lt. Col. Joseph Ng’eny who is in charge of the drive in Nyanza and part of western region said that they were not recruiting women at the station because they already had the required number.
However, he noted that they would recruit women in other centres in the county depending on the gender balance they want to achieve.