alexa Kaimenyi says implementation of laptops project for schools still on course - Daily Nation

Kaimenyi says implementation of laptops project for schools still on course

Monday December 29 2014

Education CS Jacob Kaimenyi (right) with

Education CS Jacob Kaimenyi (right) with Principal Secretary Belio Kipsang (left), Knec CEO Joseph Kivilu (2nd right) and Knec chairperson Kabiru Kinyanjui on December 29, 2014 during the release of the 2014 KCPE exams results at Mitihani House, Nairobi. Prof Kaimenyi said the laptops-for-schools project was still on course. PHOTO | JENNIFER MUIRURI | NATION MEDIA GROUP 

EDWIN OKOTH
By EDWIN OKOTH
More by this Author

The implementation of the laptop project in public primary schools is on course, according to Education Cabinet Secretary Jacob Kaimenyi.

Prof Kaimenyi said the training of teachers for ICT integration in primary schools was ongoing and the ministry was benchmarking with other countries that had implemented similar projects.

“My ministry is continuing with consultations and dialogue with various stakeholders and benchmarking with other countries that have successfully implemented the same to develop an implementation model that will be self-sustaining,” he said Monday while releasing the 2014 KCPE exam results.

Some 3,000 master trainers had been trained countrywide while 61,000 teachers are scheduled for training by March 2015, Prof Kaimenyi said.

The preparations, including provision of electricity to schools and development of digital content, were in top gear despite court cases challenging laptop procurement, the CS said.

The Institute of Curriculum Development, which is preparing the content, has completed 12 secondary school subjects, for Form One to Form Four, and Mathematics and Sciences for classes three to eight.

Advertisement

Plans are underway to adapt the content for learners with special needs, revealed Prof Kaimenyi.

The laptops-for-pupils project is one of the key election promises made by the Jubilee coalition.

However, tendering disputes and court cases have dogged the project that was meant to start more than one year ago.

In October 2013, the Cabinet Secretary cancelled the tender for supply of the laptops on grounds that the bidders had quoted high prices beyond what the government had budgeted for.

The lowest technically evaluated bid was Sh32 billion.

The ministry then awarded the Sh24.6 billion tender to an Indian firm, Olive Telecommunications, for the supply of 1.2 million laptops.

The Public Procurement Administrative Review Board cancelled the award and Olive appealed but lost, forcing the government to start the process afresh.