alexa Marathon star’s ‘widows’ united in mourning - Daily Nation

Marathon star’s ‘widows’ united in mourning

Monday May 16 2011

Triza Njeri (left), Ms Judy Wambui (centre) and international athlete Mary Wacera. Photos/WANJIRU MACHARIA and SULEIMAN MBATIAH

Triza Njeri (left), Ms Judy Wambui (centre) and international athlete Mary Wacera. Photos/WANJIRU MACHARIA and SULEIMAN MBATIAH  

By DAVID MACHARIA [email protected] and JAMES KARIUKI [email protected]

Two women, who claim to be Olympic champion Samuel Kamau Wanjiru’s wives, on Monday joined his widow Triza Njeri in mourning his death at his Nyahururu home.

Ms Judy Wambui and international athlete Mary Wacera entered the home at 3 pm accompanied by Wanjiru’s mother Ann after holding an hour-long meeting at another home Kamau built for his mother at Muthaiga estate.

Ms Wambui, who resides in Nakuru, could not hold her back her tears as she entered the home moments later followed by Ms Wacera who lives near Wanjiru’s mother.

Ms Wacera, has a seven-month-old child named after Wanjiru’s mother expressed sadness at the loss.

“I am bitter that I lost a loving husband who provided for me and my daughter. I have visited my mother-in-law and has urged her to be strong especially at this trying time,” she said.

Relatives continued to flock the athlete’s mother’s house where a condolence book was opened.


A meeting to make burial arrangements continued as athletes also joined hands to plan for the transfer of the body to a mortuary in Nakuru.

Ms Wambui, 25, who claims to be Wanjiru’s second wife, was distraught as she narrated her last moments with the athlete.

The woman, who is five months pregnant, said Wanjiru passed by her house at Kiti estate on the Nakuru Nyahururu road at 8 pm on Sunday night — less than five hours to his death.

She said Wanjiru had called her on Saturday evening from Eldoret where he was practising.

The athlete, according to Ms Wambui was to attend to an emergency in his Nyahururu home.

“He was supposed to be at the training camp for a month without taking a break but he told me that he was needed in Nyahururu urgently,” she said.

Ms Wambui said Wanjiru seemed happy and settled when he passed by the house and promised to go back to her after solving the issue at his Nyahururu home.

“He was here for about an hour and I could not escort him to the car because it was drizzling,” she said.

“I was still waiting for him when his cousin called me at 3 am to inform me about the death.

“I was shocked because there were no signs whatsoever that he was going to take away his life.

“He was happy as usual, there were no indications of depression,” said a tearful Ms Wambui.

She said her attempt to deter Wanjiru from traveling to Nyahururu that late were fruitless as he said that he as required back at camp on Monday.

“He told me it would only be fair that he dealt with the matter on Sunday night, sleeps here before commencing his journey back to Eldoret today (Monday) in the morning,” she said.

Ms Wambui claimed Wanjiru was training for an event in September but she as not sure about its title.

She added that Wanjiru had big plans for her and her unborn child and that they had been together with for five years.

“He told me to resign from my work as a receptionist two years ago and promised to establish a business for me after I deliver our child,” she added.

“It is unfortunate that he has gone before the arrival of a child that he promised to love unconditionally,” she lamented.

Ms Wambui said that Wanjiru visited her parents last December and agreed on how he was going to pay dowry.

The woman, who is due in September, said they had plans to wed at the District Commissioner’s office next December after visiting Wanjiru’s parents.

“He had also promised to buy me a home and move me out of my rented house before the arrival of our baby,” she added.

She described Wanjiru as a caring and loving husband who was humble.