The government will not extend registration period for the National Integrated Identity Management System, also known as Huduma Namba, beyond the May 25 deadline.
Government Spokesman Cyrus Oguna on Thursday said said any person whose data has errors will have them addressed at his local chief’s office in a four-month period after the registration deadline.
On the other hand, those who register successfully will have their Huduma numbers sent to them through their mobile phones.
Addressing the press in Nairobi, Mr Oguna said 36 million Kenyans had been registered. “Huduma Namba is supposed to streamline the acquisition of services, making it easier for the public to access them. Without it, you could still access them but it will not be as easy as for one who has the number,” he said.
Mr Oguna also gave a briefing on the implementation of the new competency-based curriculum (CBC).
He denied allegations that there was no public participation. “The CBC could not have been rolled out without sufficient public participation since the exercise began five years ago,” he said.
Preparation of teachers for the programme, he said, is going on in earnest.
Acknowledging that schools lack adequate facilities, Mr Oguna said the government had invested Sh200 million in improving primary schools in the last financial year and that it will invest an additional Sh250 million for the same purpose this financial year.
On the motoring industry, he clarified that only selected second-hand vehicle spare parts will be banned, not all. He linked second-hand spare parts to road crashes.
“Buying second-hand vehicle spare parts is akin to purchasing and bringing in someone else’s risks and adopting them as yours. Some of the spare parts were banned in the countries of origin, why should we take them?” he asked.
He said the government’s agenda is to protect public transport users.