The Ministry of Health has cancelled plans to roll out a countywide polio vaccination campaign that was to begin this Saturday.
In a statement to newsrooms on Monday evening, Sammy Mahugu, the head of the promotion unit at the ministry, said the cancellation had been occasioned by "unavoidable circumstances".
“Due to unavoidable circumstances, the December 10 to 14 Polio campaign has been postponed to January 18 to 22, 2017. As a result, the Immunization Stakeholders Meeting that was to be held on December 6 has also been postponed to a January 2017… date that will be announced soon before the campaign,” said the statement.
The campaign that was set to be rolled out over five days targeted all children under the age of five in high-risk counties and had been prompted by an ongoing polio outbreak in Africa, putting Kenya at risk.
“To this end, it is critical for the Ministry of Health to engage our immunization stakeholders so as to discuss preparations and arrangements for the campaign,” Dr Mahugu said.