Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko will name his deputy Friday, a whole year after technocrat Polycarp Igathe left in a huff.
And the deputy will be a woman, as he had earlier hinted in a list he had drawn up.
“A reshuffle is a must in any government. Even the president did a reshuffle in his Cabinet. By Friday, I will name my cabinet and nominate the deputy governor,” Mr Sonko said.
The governor has been on the spot over the delay in filling the deputy governor’s post and the exodus among his Cabinet members.
In August last year, the governor drew up a list which featured four women namely former Starehe MP Margaret Wanjiru, corporate guru Agnes Kagure and lawyers Karen Nyamu and Jane Weru.
This was later in October whittled down to Ms Nyamu and Ms Weru. However nothing has happened since.
Mr Sonko made the revelation Wednesday, while reacting to Monday’s resignation of his Education Executive Janet Muthoni-Ouko.
The governor said he had approved the resignation of Ms Ouko.
I have worked well with Ms Ouko. Resigning is her constitutional right. I have accepted it and she can do it even today,” Mr Sonko said.
The embattled governor dismissed allegations by Ms Ouko that he was blackmailing her.
Earlier, in her resignation statement released to the media, Ms Ouko maintained that she had had good working relations with the Governor.
However, the narrative seemed to change later during an interview.
“You know there are people who behave like when they appoint you to a position it means so much; it’s like they have married you, it’s like they have given birth to you. That’s not the situation. This is a job and the terms are very clear,” Ms Ouko said.