Come for DNA tests, kin of Gilgil crash victims told

Tuesday May 16 2017

St Mary's Mission Hospital in Nakuru

he Robert Otieno, a passenger who survived the May 12 road crash in Nakuru County, recounts the events that led to the incident. The government has asked relatives of those who died in the crash to provide DNA samples to help identify their people. FILE PHOTO | SILA KIPLAGAT | NATION MEDIA GROUP 

More by this Author

The government is appealing to families of the Gilgil bus accident casualties to avail themselves for DNA testing at Chiromo Hospital mortuary today.

This follows the transportation of the six bodies that were hard to identify from Gilgil to Chiromo on Sunday.

Some 20 people died with 14 others injured on Saturday when a Flash Link Bus collided with two trucks at Mbaraki along the Nakuru Highway.

Survivors were rushed to St Mary's Hospital, with the dead being taken to a Gilgil mortuary.


Relatives of the dead are to undergo DNA test today in order to assist with the identification process.

National Disaster Management Unit deputy communication director Pius Mwachi said the six bodies were transported in 13 body bags.

"We had to move them in the separate body bags because they had been badly dismembered by the impact of the accident," said Mr Mwachi.

He  requested  family members to avail themselves today and submit samples.

"We request any mother, father, brother, sister to the deceased to avail themselves for DNA testing to enable us identify them so that the families can make arrangements to bury their loved ones," said Mr Mwachi. 


The official confirmed that two bodies were still lying at Gilgil Mortuary and one at St Mary's Hospital Mortuary.

He said the bodies were yet to be claimed and asked relatives of the dead to contact the hospital for a chance to verify and identify their loved ones.

Mr Mwachi said two unidentified accident survivors were still being treated at St Mary's Hospital, describing their condition as "critical but stable".

"We also have two unidentified persons currently undergoing treatment at St. Mary Hospital, in critical but stable condition," said Mr Mwachi.