DR Congo kidnappers demand Sh50 million for priest

Wednesday April 4 2018

Father Celestin Ngango

Father Celestin Ngango was taken away by armed men on Sunday shortly after he had celebrated Easter mass in his parish, in the dioceses of Goma in North Kivu province. FILE PHOTO | NATION MEDIA GROUP  

By AFP
More by this Author

KINSHASA

The kidnappers of a Catholic priest abducted in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo at the weekend are demanding Sh50 million for his release, the church said.

Father Celestin Ngango was taken away by armed men on Sunday shortly after he had celebrated Easter mass in his parish, in the dioceses of Goma in North Kivu province.

"His kidnappers have contacted the St. Paul of Karambi parish to demand Sh50,000,000 ($500,000) in ransom for his release," the National Episcopal Conference of Congo (CENCO) said, demanding he be set free immediately.

North and South Kivu provinces are the theatre of a wave of violence among militia groups, which often extort money from civilians or fight each other for control of mineral resources.

Three fathers of the Assumptionist Order, Jean-Pierre Ndulani, Edmond Kisughi and Anselme Wasukundi, were seized there in October 2012, and fellow priests Jean-Pierre Akilimali and Charles Kipasa were abducted in July last year.

There has been no news of any of them since then, CENCO said.