ODM denies fronting name for Sonko deputy - Daily Nation

ODM denies fronting Rahab Wangui to be Mike Sonko's deputy

Sunday January 13 2019

Governor Mike Sonko

Governor Mike Sonko addressing the media during a past event at City Hall in Nairobi. PHOTO | FILE | NATION MEDIA GROUP 

By DAVID MWERE
More by this Author

The Orange Democratic Movement party has denied claims that the National Super Alliance (Nasa) has proposed a nominee for Nairobi deputy governorship position.

On Friday last week, Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko delayed the naming of his deputy claiming that Nasa had written to him proposing Rahab Wangui to be his deputy.

"I was ready with a nominee but I received a letter from Nasa requesting me to consider their nominee. Therefore, I shall not be forwarding the name in the spirit of handshake to allow for more consultation," Mr Sonko said.

Mr Sonko’s announcement was based on the letter he said was signed by Nasa Secretariat chief executive Norman Magaya fronting Ms Wangui’s name.

'CITY HALL MESS'

But on Sunday, the ODM secretary-general denied the claim, saying that ODM does not intend to be associated with the mess at City Hall even as affiliated MPs said that Nasa died on January 30, 2018, when Mr Odinga was ‘sworn-in’ in a mock ceremony at Uhuru Park, Nairobi.

The process of coming up with a name would have been a consultative one involving Amani National Congress, Wiper Party, Ford Kenya and ODM — Nasa’s constituent parties — but the alliance is non-functional.

“We did not send any name for deputy governorship position because we do not want to be associated with the mess that happened in Nairobi,” Mr Sifuna said. “There is no Nasa, it died long ago.”

The deputy governor’ post fell vacant when Mr Polycarp Igathe abruptly resigned on January 12, 2018, saying he had failed to earn Mr Sonko’s trust.