The Coalition for Reforms and Democracy (Cord) on Friday maintained that the protest rallies to push for the removal of electoral commission officials would proceed despite calls for national dialogue.
Cord’s management committee members James Orengo and Johnstone Muthama said the coalition would not relent in its push to have the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission officials resign.
This is despite Deputy President William Ruto’s assurance that the government was ready for dialogue with the opposition.
“We want real commitment from the government. It is not just about the people in the commission but the whole electoral law which needs to be reformed and the Okoa Kenya Bill was very clear on how to realise this,” Mr Orengo said at a press conference.
The Siaya senator announced that the Monday protest rallies across the country would be preceded by build-up rallies to be held on Saturday at Mathare slums and Mlolongo.
“We have realised that this movement is gaining momentum. Yesterday (Thursday) there was a rally in Kitui and there will be many more such rallies in other parts of the country,” he said.
He also announced that he had held a meeting with Kanu Secretary-General Nick Salat who assured that the independence party fully supported the protests and would participate in the Monday rally.
“I have heard a little meeting with the secretary-general of Kanu and he has said that he will be there,” said Mr Orengo.
Mr Muthama expressed doubts about the government’s commitment to national dialogue over the poll team and myriad other challenges facing the nation saying the President had previously declared that the commission “is going nowhere”.
“Jubilee is just playing games. They are just buying time,” the Machakos senator said.
Mr Orengo said any talks with the government must be structured.
“We do not want dialogue on whether this commission is going home or not, we should discuss how it shall go because going it will go,” he said.