Eight people have denied manufacturing a killer drink that left 19 people dead.
They all asked the High Court in Nakuru to release them on bond.
However, their bail application was opposed by the prosecution, which said investigations were still going on.
Two of the suspects are charged with 19 counts of murder, three face 12 counts of murder while the remaining three are charged with killing seven people.
Scores taken ill
Those in court on Thursday were Ms Esther Wangui, Ms Rose Wanjiru, Ms Everline Lumadi and Mr Gadson Mwangi.
The others were Mr Charles Munga, Ms Mary Njoki, Mr Zakayo Githinji and Mr Peter Maina.
Last week, scores of people who had consumed the Yokozuna drink in Nyahururu were taken ill as others succumbed to its effects. (READ: 20 more are dead in Kenya’s week of tears)
Mr Justice William Ouko set the matter for mention on September 28 when he will deliver a ruling on the bond application and set a hearing date.
In Kisii County, more than 10,000 litres of an illicit brew were destroyed on Thursday in two villages during a raid by Administration Police officers.
The officers, led by district AP boss Martin Waititu, first stormed Gechieko village where they destroyed 1,000 litres of kangara and impounded five litres of chang’aa. They also arrested one woman.
In Onywere village, the officers destroyed 10,000 litres of kangara and impounded 20 litres of chang’aa. Four people were arrested.
“We have managed to destroy over 10,000 litres of kangara in the swoop. We also netted 25 litres of ready chang’aa,’ Mr Waititu said, adding that his officers would not rest until the illegal business was curtailed.
The raid came barely a day after Internal Security minister George Saitoti declared an all- out war on illicit brews.