The 2015 World 400m hurdles champion Nicholas Bett has set his sets on a making strong return to action during the trials for the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games on Saturday at Kasarani.
Bett, who has been training in South Africa for the last two months, said he has put behind the disappointment from 2016 Rio Olympic Games and the withdrawal from the 2017 World Championships.
Bett, who made history as the first Kenyan to win gold in a sprints event at the World Championships, failed to defend his World title in London last year owing to a leg injury.
“I experienced a sharp pain on the right leg during the Diamond League in Doha last year and I took a few days leave thereafter,” recalled Bett. “The pain came again after the Shanghai meeting on May 13 and I started treatment in Nairobi.”
The injury kept Bett out of the National Championships and Trials on June 23-23 at Nyayo National Stadium.
Bett was disqualified during the heats at the Rio Olympic Games where he was among favourites for gold.
Bett’s brother Haron Koech was left to battle it out in London alone after Rio Olympics 400m hurdles silver medallist Boniface Mucheru also sustained a leg injury.
“I am back to full fitness and I hope to get the ticket for my second Commonwealth Games,” said Bett, the 2014 Africa 400m bronze medallist.
Bett took part at the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games where he lost in the semi-finals.
Mucheru, who was Kenya’s other representative, reached the final but settled sixth.
Bett got his season off to a good start last weekend during the South Africa Grand Prix, clocking 46 seconds in 400m flat before winning the 400m hurdles final in 48.98 seconds.
Bett, 25, has a personal best of 47.79 from the 2015 World title in Beijing.
“I am slowly regaining my groove,” added Bett, who is due to face his brother Koech and Mucheru among others.