Caster Semenya, who came under the spotlight over gender determination and currently the world 800 metres champion, is welcome to run in Nairobi during the Senior African Athletics Championship in July.
David Okeyo, the championship’s Chief Executive Officer, has rolled out a red carpet to receive Semenya in Nairobi in July, which will be her first major race since controversy clouded her young career at last year’s Berlin’s World Championships.
“Though everyone is waiting for her case to be decided by IAAF, we (Local Organising Committee) have no problem having her run here. We will be thrilled to have her as it will add another spark in the championship,” said Okeyo.
Semenya has vowed to return to athletics at a meeting in Zaragoza, Spain on June 24.
This is almost a month before Kenya host Africa’s best talent at Nyayo National Stadium for a five-day track and field championship where the continent will select its final athletes for the World Cup set for Split City on Croatia in September.
Okeyo however, noted that South Africa is among the countries yet to send in their interim list of athletes.
“It makes it hard for me to know if they will come or not,” he said.