Harambee Stars will need an estimated Sh200 million in preparation for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon), Football Kenya Federation president Nick Mwendwa has said.
Stars qualified for the 24-team tournament after the Confederation of African Football (Caf) confirmed that Sierra Leone was disqualified from the qualifiers following an Extraordinary Executive Committee meeting in Accra, Ghana last week.
Kenya, who’ve planned to pitch camp in France in May, sits pretty atop of Group “F” on seven points, one ahead of second-placed Ghana, while Ethiopia is bottom with a point having forfeited their 1-0 victory over Sierra Leone in September.
“We’ve estimated about 2 million dollars (approximately Sh205 million), but this is subject to change after patching up all necessary details,” Mwendwa told Nation Sport on Monday.
“For us we need not relax because we’ve a final game against Ghana, we want to stay top of the group and to do so, we must get a positive result away,” he added.
Mwendwa has called on sponsors to come on board and support the national team after ending a 14-year wait to grace the continental showpiece.
“We will continue to knock because now results are coming, before, it was difficult,” he offered.
He further thanked President Uhuru Kenyatta for his pledge to support the team.