alexa Newly posted OCPD found dead in his house in Marsabit - Daily Nation
Breaking News

Newly posted OCPD found dead in his house in Marsabit

Monday December 26 2016

Newly posted Marsabit Central OCPD Abel Sande

Newly posted Marsabit Central OCPD Abel Sande seen here during the Jamhuri celebrations on December 12, 2016. He was found dead in his house on December 25, 2016. It is suspected he died of heart attack. PHOTO | KEN BETT | NATION MEDIA GROUP 

More by this Author

Newly posted Marsabit Central Officer Commanding Police Division Senior Superintendent Abel Sande is dead.

His lifeless body was found in his house in Marsabit town on Sunday evening at around 7.30pm.

Marsabit Central Deputy County Commissioner Joseph Nyakwara and SSP Sande's Deputy Nicholas Kipkorir confirmed the death and said they suspected he suffered a heart attack.


"We found him dead on the sofa at around 7.30pm. We suspect he had a heart attack," Mr Nyakwara told the Nation by phone.

While in Bomet, where he served for one year before being moved to Marsabit central, SSP Sande is reported to have suffered of a mild stroke in November


The deceased is among the 123 senior police officers who were moved in a reshuffle in November.


Marsabit Police Commander told police headquarters that SSP Sande failed to answer his numerous calls for the Evening Call-Up.

When Chief Inspector Mwangi visited his house, he found the door locked from inside but could hear a mobile phone ringing inside the house.

He peeped through the window and suspected something was wrong.

He called the County Police Commander and DCI officers who rushed to the scene and broke the door, only to find SSP Sande dead in chair.


On the table, the commander's brief to Vigilance House, Nairobi, says, were some tablets, a plate of githeri and a cup of tea.

A medical officer was summoned and confirmed that the tablets were for controlling high blood pressure and heart complications.

The commander said SSP Sande had been having some medical conditions since he was deployed to the county.


He served for less than a month in Marsabit County having replaced Mark Wanjala who served for six years.

His colleagues, Chief Inspector Mwangi, described SSP Sande as a reserved person.

"We hardly knew him, he was a very quiet person," he said.

His body was taken to Kiirua Mission Hospital mortuary for post-mortem.

Additional reporting by Zadock Angira.